Dr. Joel Aronowitz - A Case of Hard, Painful, and Broken Breast

 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz
Dr. Joel Aronowitz



Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "Hi everybody, welcome to Aronowitzland. Today we're going to see a patient who had implants placed over two decades ago. The implants are very hard, very painful, and ruptured. We're going to see what these hard, painful, broken implants look like in real life, talk to the patient, and then see what we can do with these implants, replace them with our own natural fat. So, I hope you enjoy this story today. Have you ever wondered what a grade 4 capsular contracture actually looks like when you see the implant? Let me show you. This is a very hard implant. It's encased, and it's ruptured on the inside. Are you ready to do the video right here? Yes. I'll take another pair of gloves. Please. This is a capsule. I'm going to show you what your implants look like inside your body. So, what you're looking at here, that ball that I'm cutting open, is what I took out of you." 

Client: "Oh my god." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "And the red part, the pink part, is what your body formed. So now I've opened that up, and you can see the silicone coming out of there. So that's the implant that was put in, and this is what the shell, or what your body made in response. Does that make sense?" 

Client: "Yeah, because that thing right there, that's not part of the implant." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "That's not part of the implant, that's what your body formed in response to the implant. And that was why it was so hard, and you can see..." 

Client: "That one just kills me." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "Yeah, I mean, you can see how that is. It's like it's a dinosaur egg or something."

Client: "It is, it is. Those two films, can you touch me those?" 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "I can show them to you." 

Client: "So, that's like scar tissue, sort of? Is that skin?" 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "It's scar tissue, and then it's not skin, it's scar tissue. Like if you step on a piece of glass, your body will form scar tissue around it. And then, on top of that, it's calcified. It's like it's hard, right? So that's the silicone, that's what the shell looks like, and that's what it looked like when it was in you. It was like a big ball inside of you. So, it's good to have that out of you. You had some implants many years ago, they became very hard, and you came and said, you saw me because they were so hard and painful, right? Do you want to tell the story?" 

Client: "Yeah, I thought I was dying, I wanted to die. I was in so much pain I couldn't function." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "Why? Why were they, what was it that?" 

Client: "My doctor said that, Dr. Leon said they had ruptured, and I needed them out yesterday. If I wasn't a healthy person, I probably would have been dead. Well, hopefully not. They were extremely hard, they were like two rocks, and they were densely encased."

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "I showed you what the implant looked like, I showed you the little video, we'll show the video." 

Client: "Yeah, I can't believe it." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "And it was like a dinosaur egg or something." 

Client: "It was." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz:"They were so hard, which is amazing that something in your body can get that hard. So, it's been just a few days, not quite a week, since we did your surgery, and we took those out and we did a lift to bring them back up where they belong. And we did that through the existing scars, right? Because you had already had that. And then, what did we do to restore the volume?" 

Client: "We put some fat in, a little fat in, because breasts aren't tissue, and so I needed that." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "You needed a little extra volume, and we took that from your tummy." 

Client: "Right." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "And so, how does it feel after taking those implants out?"

Client: "Immediately, I felt better, immediately, immediately, immediately. Your skin is your largest organ, and my skin was like deteriorating, just like overnight. It was just going every day, every hour, from bad to worse. I mean, I was really scared." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "Do you, and how do you think that it, what do you think was causing the discomfort? Was it, here we can show people a little bit, what it looks like. You still have a little bruising there. "But you can see the breasts are up where they belong, and they're soft, you can feel, so it's not painful to touch the way it was before. What do you think causes the pain, from a woman's perspective, when the implant is so tight like that?" 

Client: "I really don't know, just, I know, you know, it just got hard for an object. And, you know, my body said, 'No, this is wrong, get it out, get it out, you're sick.'" 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "What made you come to the doctor when you did?" 

Client: "I was getting sicker and sicker, faster and faster. And like I said, your skin is your biggest organ, and my skin was just like overnight, just falling to pieces." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "And how did you, with the bumps, how did you select a doctor?" 

Client: "Well, I know Cedars has excellent doctors, and my doctor said, 'Look for someone that has Medicare, because I'm a senior citizen.' And like I said, Cedars has excellent doctors, and I was lucky too, I have good karma, obviously, because I picked you." 

Dr. Joel Aronowitz: "And you have wonderful daughters also that probably helped. Well, thank you for sharing that with us, and I think that's helpful for other women who are in a similar situation."

Comments